The horrible fire destroyed the Serbian orthodox church in New York News

The horrible fire broke out in the evening on the Eastern Sunday and destroyed the old Cathedral church of the St. Sava Serbian of the orthodox church in New York. It was built in 1855. The Serbian Orthodox church owns it since 1943.

The horrible fire destroyed the Serbian orthodox church in New York News

As eyewitnesses and firemen inform the blaze has started on Sunday evening. The fire expanded over the building fast and covered everything that could inflame. In particular the wooden roof burned out, people saw the flame was gushing out the church’s windows.

Firemen assigned the blaze to the highest level of danger. Several dozens of carriages worked there but the cathedral burned out from the inside. Stone walls stayed safe but wooden roof burned out in full as the whole church implements, lots of icons.

Firemen suppose that the blaze could be caused by candles or icon lamps which were left inside after Eastern service. There is no information about victims.

The horrible fire destroyed the Serbian orthodox church in New York News

Till 1943 the cathedral was owned by American Episcopal Church.